Culture & Art
Jan 1, 2015
Top Medical Care
St Petersburg State I.P. Pavlov Medical University is one of the leading Medical Schools in Russia. It was founded 110 years ago in 1897 as the first Russian Medical Institute for Women. For more than 60 years the University was known all over the world as the First Leningrad I.P. Pavlov Medical Institute.
The present name, St Petersburg State I.P. Pavlov Medical University, was given to the University in 1994 by decision of the Government of the Russian Federation. The University contributes considerably to development of Medical Sciences and Health Care Services in Russia and it is recognized in the World as a big center for training specialists in various medical areas. The University has a great scientific - teaching potential and has good relations with many Medical Schools and Institutions in different countries. Students being taught at St Petersburg State Medical University have a possibility to study on the modern level keeping the best traditions of old Russian Medical Schools.
The University is a State Educational Organization, having a state license and state accreditation from Russian Federation Ministry of Health. The University has a round stamp with imprint of Russian Federation emblem, its own headed paper and other University symbols.
Well-known specialists in different branches of medicine and basic biological sciences worked there. Now the University is a major educational, scientific and clinical centre of the Russia North-West. Every year 600 new students enter the university.
At present the University keeps leading positions in Russian and World medical education, maintaining the western (American and European) standards of science, treatment and education as well as the best traditions of old Russian and Soviet medical schools. Every student gets individual attention from professors, teachers and doctors. Modern technologies are widely used in teaching. Since its establishment close to 50 000 physicians have been trained there. More than 600 specialists graduate from the University every year, obtaining degrees of M.D.
The first information regarding education of foreign citizens is dated by 1910. In Soviet Union, training of foreign students began in 1945. Since then about 2000 citizens from 65 countries of Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America have qualified for the diploma, and more than 400 doctors from foreign countries have pursued a course of practical work, specialization, clinical studies or post-graduate research for Ph.D. degrees (candidate or doctor of sciences in medicine).
The University can offer post-graduate educational program (internship, residency, fellowship courses) for medical graduates in more than 40 medical specialties. Every year more than 300 physicians undergo postgraduate training.
Background of the University
The main campus consists of 63 buildings, including clinics, department, scientific laboratories, library, computer center, and 4 hostels for students and specialists.
Some departments are situated outside the campus (Traumatology and Ortopedics, Pediatric, Infection diseases, Oncology etc) and are basing in leading city hospitals, including the first in Europe specialized hospital for infectious diseases (Botkin hospital), the first Pediatric hospital (Philatov hospital) and other hospitals of Saint-Petersburg.
Clinical departments and scientific clinical institutes, situated in campus, have their own clinics (Hospital and Faculty therapeutic departments, Department of Propedeutics of Internal Diseases, general surgery department, hospital and faculty surgical departments, ophthalmology department, ENT department, obstetrics and gynecology department etc).
In general, more than 43 hospitals are used as teaching ones for students. All clinics, departments and research centers are provided with modern medical equipment.
the Univeristy aims at improving international medical education quality, increasing academic mobility, and academic recognition. Since 1946 Saint-Petersburg Pavlov State Medical University, well-known over the world earlier as First Leningrad Pavlov Medical Institute, has teached foreign students and post-graduates.
The institute had medical, legal and pedagogical faculties. Per 1920 the medical faculty was transformed into independent high school - the State Institute of Medical Knowledge which per 1930 was renamed into 2nd Leningrad Medical institute. In June, 1994 the institute has received the name St. Petersburg State Medical Academy. The architectural historical complex consisting of 50 buildings and located in territory of park by the area of 35 000 square meters. The academy has 7 faculties - pre-university preparations: medico-preventive; medical (day time and evening forms of training); the maximum (supreme), sisterly formation (education); foreign pupils; preparations and improvements of professional skill of teachers; improvements of doctors. The academy is conducting methodical medical centre in Russia in the field of medico-preventive formation (education). The academy prepares for doctors of a medico-preventive and clinical structure with more than 30 specialties, including experts in economy and management of public health services, laboratory business, medical psychology, management in sisterly business and ecology. In the 56 faculties of academy successfully work more than 600 teachers. Among which one academician of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, 4 honored workers of science, 3 academicians and 5 corresponding members of the Russian academy of natural sciences, 3 winners of the State premium, 1 academician of the International academy of sciences of the higher school, 3 academicians of the International Academy of Sciences of Ecology and Safety of Ability to Live; 80 professors and doctors of medical sciences, more than 400 senior lecturers and candidates of sciences. In academy are trained about 4000 students, including 800 from 50 foreign countries. It has graduated more than 30000 doctors.
The degree awarded by our Academy «Doctor of Medicine» is included in the Directory of medical schools of World Health Organization and is recognized by the UF GMC, by US ECFMG, by the Medical councils of India, Sri-lanka, Bangladesh, Ireland and many other countries. Today there are over 1900 foreign students from 32 countries studying in the Academy.
Long-Term teaching of foreign students gave a valuable experience that helped the choice of an optimal medical educational program and effective methods of teaching for foreign students.
Each year more than one hundred foreign students enter the University to study medicine. They are offered to pursue degrees Doctor of Medicine (6+1 years) or Doctor of Stomatology (5+1 years), Ph.D. (3 years), internship (from one to three years). Most courses are taught in Russian, and because of this, there is a special pre-university course (preparatory faculty) to study Russian and Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics) at the level of Russian High School.